Monday, September 06, 2004

Blankman's Bookshelf

I recently finished reading Robert Kurson's Shadow Divers, which I can't recommend highly enough. It's the true story of wreck divers who found a previously unknown U-Boat wreck off the coast of New Jersey in the early 1990s. I had read an article Kurson had excerpted in Esquire a few months back, and when I finished it, I had to run out that night to buy the book. The book is a must for anyone interested in deep-sea diving and/or World War II history, but even if you've never had a passing interest in either, chances are you'll find this book riveting and fascinating. I didn't know diddley about wreck diving, its perils and rewards, and I couldn't put the book down. It's been on the NY Times bestseller list for about 8 weeks now, and it really deserves to be the sort of must-read non-fiction hit that The Perfect Storm and Into Thin Air were.
The two divers who found the wreck and solved the riddle of its identity, John Chatterton and Richie Kohler, prove to be as interesting as the story itself. Kurson's prose is taut and lean and exciting and the story is just flat-out fascinating. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hollywood already has its hands on this one. It's a real life thriller and not to be missed.

No comments: